Monday, May 9, 2011

A Conversation About John Lennon

Yesterday I wore a black shirt with a picture of John Lennon. Underneath his face (this is when he had a beard and long hair) is the phrase “Give Peace a Chance.”

Fatima asked me about Lennon during a car ride home.
Fatima: “Who’s that man?”
Eddie: “His name is John Lennon.”
Fatima: “Is he dead?”
(I don’t know why she assumed he was dead, unless she believes that all people who appear on clothes are dead.)
Eddie: “Yes he is.”
Fatima: “When did he die?”
Eddie: “A very long time ago.”
Fatima: “Oh.”
There is a moment of pause.
Eddie: “He was a singer.”
Fatima: “Really?”
Eddie: “Yes. He wrote music and sang songs.”
There is another pause. Finally she asks this question.
Fatima: “Who killed him?”
I was surprised that she asked this question. How does she know that Lennon was killed? I had no choice by to answer.
Eddie: “A very bad man.”
Fatima: “Why did he kill him?”
Eddie: “I don’t know Fatima. I really don’t know.”
After another moment…
Eddie: “I can play a couple of his songs when we get home.”
Fatima: “Okay. I would like that.”

Normally she would keep asking me questions that I would not be able to answer. This time she didn’t. She knew from my sincere reply that I didn’t not why “a very bad man” killed one of the most talented musicians of all time. I played her a song from him (“Just Like Starting Over”). She seemed to like it. I will play some Beatles music from time to time. She seems to enjoy dancing along to some of their early pop hits like “She Loves You” and “Twist and Shout.”

If nothing else, I hope that my musical tastes can be passed down to a member of a new generation. That way the Beatles and John Lennon can live on, year after year. #

Here is an awesome animated music video for "Come Together"

No comments:

Post a Comment